Translate using an Excel file
In this guide: Follow these steps to translate a document using an exchange XLSX file.
You've been invited to translate a document on Redokun and you would like to translate the segments offline in MS Excel.
Here's a super easy solution in 3 steps!
- Download an exchange file from Redokun.
- Translate the file using MS Excel (or a similar product).
- Import the translations back using the XLSX file.
⚠️ If you are a professional translator, you might want to check this user guide and pair Redokun with your preferred translation software.
Pre-translate (optional step)
Before exporting an exchange file, you may run the Pre-translate feature first, which allows you to:
- automatically use past translations for repetitive or similar text found in your document
- fill the gaps with machine translation
Both features are designed to help you boost your productivity and avoid having to translate from scratch.
Translate the text using an exchange XLSX file
- Go to the document detail page.
- Export the text in an exchange file by clicking on the "down" arrow.
- Select XLSX as a file format and export the exchange file.
- Translate column C of the downloaded XLSX file.
⚠️ Redokun uses tags and markers to indicate style changes or special characters and preserve them in the translation. If a source segment contains tags, then the translator should place the same tags in its corresponding translation. In the Excel file, changes of styles are indicated with the "#" character.
⚠️ Note: If you use Trados to translate the sentences. Please note that older versions of Trados might generate an error while uploading the Microsoft Excel file exported from Redokun. To solve this issue, you can open the Excel file with Microsoft Excel and save it under a new name, or you can export the sentences into an ODT file directly from Redokun.
Import the translations from the exchange XLSX file
- Once you've completed the translation of the exchange file, go to the Document Detail page in Redokun.
- Click on the
up arrowto import the XLSX exchange file to Redokun.
- After the import, you'll be presented with a guided upload wizard.
- Once you've completed the import, Redokun will open the Web Editor. If everything is alright, click on
Confirm Translationto inform the document owner that the translation is completed.
⚠️ Once the translation is confirmed, the document will be locked and the translator will no longer be able to edit the translation. If further edits are needed, the translator has to click on
Ask to unlock translation to request action from the document owner. Only the document owner can unlock the translation.