Translate a document with an exchange file
In this guide: There are two ways to translate your documents on Redokun - online or offline. Follow these steps to translate a document offline using a standard exchange file.
A) Upload a document
- Go to the Document List.
- Click on
- Click on
Choose Files. See here for our supported file formats.
- Select the file you want to upload and click on
- Choose the source language of the file, and click on
Upload. At this point, Redokun will extract the text from your document and prepare it for translation.
B) Add target languages
- Once your document is uploaded, choose the target language/languages for the translation project. Then, click on
- What to do if you are not asked to select the target language/languages?
If you are not asked to add the target languages, go to the Document Detail page, and click on
- What to do if you don't see the target language you are looking for?
- Check the Settings to make sure the target language is selected for your account.
- If you don't see the target language in the Settings, try to activate the country-specific languages by going to the Advanced settings and flagging
Enable country-specific languages.
- If you still cannot find the target language, write us at email@example.com.
meas the translator for each target language, you have selected.
C) Pre-translate (optional step)
Before your translators start working on a document, you may run the Pre-translate feature that gives you the choice to:
- automatically use past translations for repetitive or similar text found in your document
- fill the gaps with machine translation
Both features enable your team to translate faster because they would only need to review the text.
D) Export, translate, and import the text
⚠️ If your translator prefers to work offline or use a different tool, you can export the phrases in an exchange file, which be an XLIFF (suggested format) or XLSX file. XLIFF is an open-source standard that can be used to communicate with other professional tools.
Export the phrases from Redokun in an exchange file
- For each target language, export the text in an exchange file by clicking on the
Translate the exchange file
- Send the exchange file to your translator. They will be able to edit the exported XLIFF file using their preferred CAT tool.
⚠️ Redokun uses tags and markers to indicate style changes or special characters and preserve them in the translation. If the source text contains tags, the translator should place the same tags in the corresponding translation. If you are translating an exchange file in the XLSX file format, tags and markers will be indicated with a '#' symbol.
Import the translations from the exchange file back to Redokun
- Once the translation of the exchange file is complete, click on the
up arrowto import the exchange file back to Redokun.
- A guided upload wizard will appear, allowing you to see which phrases are being imported.
E) Download the translated document
Once the translation is successfully imported, you can download the translated document from Redokun.
- Ensure that the translation in the target language you want to download is confirmed. The icon below Confirm / Unlock should be a lock symbol.
- Click on the
Download icon. Redokun might ask you to confirm the download and show you how many words will be deducted from your word-count balance.
The translated file downloaded from Redokun will have the same format, the same layout, and the same look as your original file.